The three story old stone high school, built in Greek Revival style with stone from the Grand River, is topped by a cupola and two chimneys protrude from the roof. A group of men and women are gathered at the top of the cutaway bank at the right of the photo, and several men are at the lower left.
|Title||Old Stone School|
|Current Address||No longer exists|
|Pre 1912 Address||Ransom, Lyon & Barclay|
|Original Owner||School District No. 1, Grand Rapids MI|
|Original Use||Public School|
|Information Source||District No. 1 records; Grand Rapids Eagle; History of the City of Grand Rapids, Albert Baxter.|
The stone school was built in 1849 at the southeast corner of Ransom and Lyon; it was taken down in 1867 when a new building was constructed on the same property. The cupola was a popular visiting place to view the city below in the river valley.
|Collection||Grand Rapids Public Library Photo Collection, History & Special Collections Dept.|
Reproduction and copyright information regarding this image is available from Grand Rapids History & Special Collections, Archives, Grand Rapids Public Library, Grand Rapids, MI