John R. Osgood Co. - 1876
The hand-colored architectural drawing of the three story building, in Romanesque Revival style, shows a steep hipped roof that includes Gothic style ornamentation, windows and entrances with arch surrounds, and two sets of multiple chimneys sit on either side of the central portion of the building. Homes are shown on the left and a church steeple and factory chimney are seen on the right. The title at the bottom reads, "U.S. Court House and Post Office, Grand Rapids, Mich., Wm. A Potter, Supervising Architect, Treasury Department. The publication is identified along the left border as, American Architect and Building News, July 22, 1876.
|Title||U.S. Court House and Post Office (1)|
|Creator||John R. Osgood Co.|
|Current Address||No long exists|
|Pre 1912 Address||Block bounded by Lyon, N. Division, Pearl and Ionia Streets|
|Architect||William Appleton Potter, Supervising Architects Office of the U.S. Treasury Dept. 1874-1877|
|Contractor||John R. Stewart, Superintendent of Construction|
|Date Constructed||Completed 1879|
|Original Owner||Federal Governement|
|Original Use||Post Office, Internal Revenue, and US Court officers|
|Information Source||The History of the City of Grand Rapids by Albert Baxter. 1891|
Congress appropriated $212,000 in the fall of 1878 for the structure and the site.