The three story brick building, in the Romanesque Revival style, has small gabled dormers in the hipped roof, windows and entrances with arch surrounds, and Italianate brackets under the roofline. Several men are seen in front, one with a bicycle commonly referred to as a "bone shaker."
|Title||The Government Building (1)|
|Current Address||No long exists|
|Pre 1912 Address||Block bounded by Lyon, N. Division, Pearl and Ionia Streets|
|Architect||William Appleton Potter, Supervising Architects Office of the U.S. Treasury Dept. 1874-1877|
|Contractor||John R. Stewart, Superintendent of Construction|
|Date Constructed||Completed 1879|
|Original Owner||Federal Governement|
|Original Use||Post Office, Internal Revenue, and US Court officers|
|Information Source||The History of the City of Grand Rapids by Albert Baxter. 1891|
Referred to as the Government Building in Baxter's history, it was also known as the U.S. Court House and Post Office.