H.M. Long - 1944
A north-looking view of Marywood Academy, taken from the long drive leading off E. Fulton St., shows the four-story building set on a vast expanse of lawn. The portion of the building to the left of the central section housed classrooms and sleeping quarters for boarding students; the area to the right was living quarters for the nuns; and a chapel was located on the first floor of the central section.
|Current Address||2025 E. Fulton St.|
|Architect||Joseph and Leo A. Brielmeier of E. Brielmeier and Sons of Milwaukee and Chicago|
|Contractor||General contractor: John McNabb and Son, Grand Rapids. Plumbing contractor: Pulte and Sons|
|Original Owner||Dominican Sisters - Grand Rapids|
|Original Use||Private school|
|Information Source||Dominican Sisters - Grand Rapids|
The ground was broken and cornerstone of the building was laid on June 5, 1921. The school, originally a boarding and day school located on Fountain St. in downtown Grand Rapids, was named Sacred Heart Academy. The name changed to Marywood Academy in 1925.